Monday, June 22, 2009

all things in common

Picture this:

You’re in school. The teacher assigns a research project to be done with a group. What are the chances there’ll be at least one member who slacks off and lets everyone else do the work? What are the chances there’ll be one member who does most of the work? What are the chances that everyone will bring the same amount of effort, talent, knowledge, etc. to the table? Is if fair if everyone gets the same grade regardless of their input?

Almost every situation I’ve been in where I worked with a team, there were those who slacked off, and those who picked up the slack. At times I felt like I carried the whole operation on my back, and times when I knew I wasn’t pulling my weight. Though there were times when I got frustrated with doing more than my share of the work, I always felt, and slept better than when I didn’t do my share.

If you haven’t read Animal Farm by George Orwell, do so. It is short and well worth your time. My favorite character is a horse by the name of Boxer. He wasn’t the brightest animal on the farm, but he had the biggest heart, and the biggest muscles. Out of loyalty, he practically killed himself working to keep the farm from collapsing. Everyone sang his praises, but most were content to let him do most of the work; why should they work hard if he would do it for them? He eventually wore himself out and the pigs rewarded him by sending him to the knacker’s.

Of course, Orwell didn’t pull this story out of the air, it is a story that has been played out time and time again throughout history. As long as there’s someone to pick up the slack, there will never be a shortage of people willing to produce the slack. That’s human nature, and no gifted orator with an even more gifted teleprompter will change this.

Here’s some links you might find interesting:
http://www.mises.org/store/How-Capitalism-Saved-America-P260.aspx

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=8236

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1742553/posts

5 comments:

  1. Hi JL!

    I received your comment on my blog, so thought I would come over and check yours out. Could I make a suggestion that you change your color scheme? I can hardly make out any of the text. The dark red on the dark black causes such strain on my eyes that it is just about impossible to read. Your subject matter looks very interesting, though, so I will be checking back. Thanks for coming over to my site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also posted regarding the similarities to the current administration and animal farm. You better watch out, some people think I am nuts, so you posting stuff like mine will get you labeled a KOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be one of those right wing extremists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated group work in high school for those exact reasons. Sucks that it's like that in real life.

    ReplyDelete